Trial run for india’s first every metro train equipped to run on ‘unattended train operation’ mode flagged off
The trial run of India’s first ever Metro train, equipped to run on the
‘Unattended Train Operation’ mode, was ceremonially flagged off today by
the Union Minister for Urban Development, Sh. M. Venkaiah Naidu and Delhi
Chief Minister, Sh. Arvind Kejriwal.
The inaugural train moved out from the Mukundpur depot and travelled up to
the Majlis Park Metro station of the Majlis Park – Shiv Vihar Metro
corridor of Phase 3 (Pink Line). The new trains, with extremely high levels
of automation, will now undergo rigorous trials to ensure that they are
ready for smooth operations after the commissioning of the new corridors
Initially, train operators will run the trains, but gradually, driverless
operations (on the Unattended Train Operation (UTO) mode) will be possible
In addition, a green Receiving Sub Station (RSS) for the power requirements
of the Majlis Park – Shiv Vihar corridor was also inaugurated at Mukundpur
The RSS has been entirely designed as a green structure with features such
as solar power plant, rain water harvesting, sewage water treatment
Features of the new Metro trains:
1. *Fixed six car trains with 67% Motor cars instead of 50% in earlier
trains, ie, each six car train will have four Motor cars and two trailer
§ Higher acceleration resulting in 10% increase in scheduled speed.
§ Higher regeneration resulting in lower energy consumption by 20%.
2. Wider carbody of 3.2m wide against earlier design of 2.9m wide
carbody on Standard Gauge.
3. Maximization of Passenger carrying space
· Equipments placed beneath the Seats to release additional space
(2.0 sqm) for 12 more passengers.
· Wider gangway (1120mm as compared to 1030mm).
· Increased space in Unattended Train Operation (UTO) mode (approx
5.0 sqm), Overall approx 40 more passenger in the driver’s Car (since the driver’s cabin would be removed in case of ‘driverless’ operation).
4. Passenger Comfort and Convenience
· Provision of Wi-Fi internet facility in trains.
· Digital Route Map- 37 inch LED type, fully programmable with
dynamic change of split screens.
· Fully programmable LCD screens with videos, graphics, animations,
real time video streaming.
· Improved air circulation.
· Charging Point + USB port facility.
· Provision of Lumber support/Backrest near wheel chair area.
· Redesigned Grab rail/ pole layout.
5. Noise Reduction Measures
· Improved Floor Design with high density ceramic wool insulation
· Wheel with noise dampers
· Curve actuated WFL & HPF for reducing squealing noise on curve.
6. Aesthetic exterior/Interior design with:
· Aero Dynamic front profile with wide Wind screen glass with front
· Aesthetically designed energy efficient LED head lights and
· Ceramic Coated Aluminum Interior Panel with superior finish,
Improve floor covering & Wheel chair marking on floor, Colourful Passenger
7. Energy Efficient Design
· Higher Regeneration.
· LED saloon lights with automatic dimming facility based on
· Inverter controlled energy efficient HVAC System with eco
friendly R-407C refrigerant.
8. Designed for Unattended Train Operation (UTO) mode of operation
· Remote Control of Trains: Starting and stopping, acceleration &
braking, operation of doors and handling of emergencies are fully automated
without any on board staff.
· Two way communication between Operation Control Centre (OCC) &
· Live streaming from inside car CCTV system to OCC & vice versa.
· Obstruction Deflection Device (ODD) is installed to push away
small obstructions on track to avoid derailment.
· Additional 2 Front Facing Cameras (DM)+ 1 Detrainment Camera (DM)
Details of the trial run:
Since, these Metro trains are being introduced in Delhi Metro for the first
time, they will be put through stringent trials to ensure that smooth
services are provided to the commuters after the commissioning of the
lines.uring the trial runs, the interaction of the Metro train with physical
infringements (civil structure) will be checked to ensure that there is no
physical blockage during the movement of the train on the track
Later on, in stages, the new signalling technology to be implemented on
this corridor – Communication Based Train Control (CBTC) will also undergo
In addition, the response of the train at different speeds, braking of the
train and the interconnection with the Operations Control Centre (OCC) will
also be monitored during the trials. The behavior of the track system and
the Over Head Electrification (OHE) will be checked repeatedlybr>
Green Receiving Sub Station at Mukundpur:
A Receiving Sub Station (RSS) was also inaugurated today at the Mukundpur
depot which will cater to the power requirements of the Majlis Park – Shiv
Vihar corridor. The sub-station has been designed entirely as a green
building with a host of environment friendly features. A similar green
sub-station is already operational in Faridabad. The green features of the
Receiving Sub Station are:
· Solar power generation capacity of 31.2 KWp
· Rain water harvesting for water conservation
· Sewage water treatment plant to make it a ‘water neutral
· Low CFC refrigerant and inverter compressor type VRV
air-conditioning instead of split air-conditioning for lesser power
· LED lighting and Bureau of Energy Efficiency labeled electrical
· Urinal sensors for water conservation
· Water meters to monitor water consumption
· Landscaping to preserve top soil around the sub-station