E-RICKSHAW SERVICES EXTENDED AT 12 MORE METRO STATIONS TO BOOST LAST MILE CONNECTIVITY
The Delhi Metro today extended the facility of e-rickshaw services to 12 more Metro stations spread across the Delhi Metro network, taking the total tally of stations to 29 where a fleet of over 1000 e-rickshaws now becomes operational. Mr. A K Garg, Director (Operations) flagged off this fleet of around 250 e-rickshaws, called SmartE, from Patel Nagar Metro station today.
These 250 E-rickshaws will be plying from 12 stations spread across the Metro network to boost the last mile connectivity for passengers of nearby localities from 6 AM to 11 PM. The stations are: Qutab Minar, Ghittorni, Arjangarh, Nawada, Shadipur, Patel Nagar, Nangloi, Nangloi Railway Station, Govindpuri, Harkesh Nagar Okhla, Moolchand and Botanical Garden.
Till date, over 800 e-rickshaws were plying from 17 Metro stations facilitating over one lakh passengers to reach their destinations/stations daily. With this addition, the number of e-rickshaws has gone beyond 1000 covering 29 Metro stations. 12 more stations are likely to be extended with the same facility within next 2-3 months wherein around 500 more e-rickshaws will be put into service to strengthen the last mile connectivity.
These GPS enabled SmartEs are specially designed having covered cabin and full front windscreen to provide the last mile connectivity within an area of 3-4 KM around Metro stations. The fares have been kept very nominal at a base price of Rs 10 for the first 2 KM and Rs 5/- for every subsequent KM. The commuters can also book vehicles through the SmartE app and pay digitally for their rides.
In recent years, DMRC has introduced many eco-friendly initiatives to ensure a robust last mile connectivity system, which enables the commuters to prefer non-polluting public transport modes over personal vehicles. Some of the initiatives taken in recent years are:-
- Feeder Buses: 174 Non-AC CNG feeder buses (26+1 seater) are being operated on 32 feeder routes approved by State Transport Authority. The services are available from 69 Metro stations.
- E-rickshaw Services: - Organized services by DMRC authorized e-rickshaw operators from 29 Metro stations. All e-rickshaws are GPS enabled. Full front screen and covered cabin for extra safety, security and comfort. E-rickshaws of reputed manufactures are inducted which provide extra comfort during rides. All e-rickshaws registered with concerned RTO.
- Cab Aggregator Kiosks: - UBER Booking kiosk available at 12 metro stations viz. Rajiv Chowk, Dwarka Sector-21, HUDA City Centre, Sikanderpur, IFFCO Chowk, Vaishali, Kaushambi, Raja Nahar Singh, Botanical Garden, NOIDA City Centre, NOIDA Sector-15 and NOIDA Sector-16. Kiosks planned at 50 metro stations by the end of March 2020. In all, kiosks planned at 210 Metros stations.
- E-scooter Services: - Rental services available from 04 metro stations viz. Vishwavidyalaya, Mandi House, Dwarka Sector-9 and Nehru Enclave.Services to be extended from 3 additional metro stations viz. Kashmere Gate, IIT and New Delhi.
- Public Bicycle Sharing Services: - Paddle cycle services operational from 16 Metro stations. Battery operated cycle services operational from 36 metro stations.
Route & other details for above services are available on www.delhimetrorail.com.